Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Wood County Courthouse


Wednesday we visited The Wood County Courthouse. The courthouse was constructed in two years 1894-1896.
The courthouse was built with the money from the gas boom in the Bowling Green area. The gas companies were the largest employers at the time. There was very little expense spared on the courthouse. In your opinion, was that a good thing or a bad thing? The fact that this was a land struggling to conquer the Great Black Swamp, do you think this magnificent building would strike fear into the hearts of a criminal? Do you know how many criminals were hanged at this courthouse?
The courthouse was renovated. Do you think the renovations were necessary? What did they do to the stain glass windows? What was done to the sandstone figurines on the north side of the courthouse?

7 comments:

  1. This magnificent courthouse was indeed built with the money provided by the oil boom. In my mind, after to many struggles cleaning the area against the mosquitos and draining all the water, the construction of the courthouse was kind a way of celebrating the victory after all those awful doings that ocurred before. Obviously, such infrastucture was in the aim of the criminals at that time, due some of the materials used in the construction of the courthuose were really valuable. So, I imagine numerous bandits were hung there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really like that court. I thought it built in a different design from the inside. Also, I think it is one of the best bulding here in Boring Green because it is very old and the spent a lot of money to build it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I glanced it first time, I thought that it was like a church. It was so beautiful building. There was many beautiful arts both sides of the building - wall paintings were inside, sculpturs were on the outside wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wood County Courthouse is a grand building. The workers just use two years to build it. When I came inside the building, I can feel the impartial air in this building. Everybody is equal here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anwar, maybe you are right. I got here in August last year, this building is the greatest building I ever saw here. I don't think there is another building which is better than it around BG.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think all of you have made an interesting observation. The Courthouse of Bowling Green looks lovely and interesting from the outside, but one observing just from the outside, has no idea that it is sooo beautiful on the inside. I remember the very first time I walk into the courthouse, I was amazed by its splender. It really is unequaled in its history and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Wood County Courthouse is important building in Ohio. It was very interesting and has many rooms. Itestablishment many Year ago. I like this buildinb.

    ReplyDelete